The Rampage Picks Up Journalism Awards

Radford’s school publication The RamPage competed in the annual Hawaii High School Journalism Awards competition. Co-editor Alexa Conrad (11) was recognized as the staff’s Most Valuable Staffer. She, along with co-editor Adaliah Collins (11) represented the newspaper staff, leaving the competition with 14 awards.  “It feels amazing to win something considering we only had six staff members to do it,” Collins said. (Photo by Mary Ann Kurose)

Radford’s school publication The RamPage competed in the annual Hawaii High School Journalism Awards competition. Co-editor Alexa Conrad (11) was recognized as the staff’s Most Valuable Staffer. She, along with co-editor Adaliah Collins (11) represented the newspaper staff, leaving the competition with 14 awards. “It feels amazing to win something considering we only had six staff members to do it,” Collins said. (Photo by Mary Ann Kurose)

The Rampage, Staff

Radford’s online and newspaper publication The RamPage picked up 14 awards at the annual Hawaii High School Journalism Awards competition.

Eleven public schools and seven private schools around the state competed in 21 categories. Categories included writing, photography, illustrations, layout and design, infographic, cartoon, comic strip, video, multimedia story presentation, website, and blog.

Hawaii Baptist Academy earned the best in the state title, followed by Mililani High School, and Sacred Hearts Academy.

Radford competed in the public school division. The RamPage staff took first place in the News writing, hand-drawn illustration, and comic strip categories. The staff placed second in the sports writing, editorial writing, commentary writing, layout and design, and blog categories. Their entries earned third place scores in the photography, action photography, and single issue categories.

First place entries in the public school division and private school division were judged to determine a state winner in each category. Radford earned the state winner title in the News writing category with their March covery story Governor Plans AC Installation in All DOE Schools.

“It feels amazing to win something,” Co-editor Adaliah Collins (11) said. “We won the state award for the having the best article in the news-writing category against private and public schools. It feels amazing to win something considering we only had six staff members to do it.”