HOSA creates Masks for Students

Students from HOSA sew up and create masks for students.

Jennifer Sugahara

Jordan McGowen, Reporter

Masks are important to wear because it keeps individuals safe and protected from contracting and spreading the coronavirus. According to the Center for Disease Control, people should “wear masks in public settings, at events and gatherings, and anywhere they will be around other people.” 

HOSA, also known as the Future Health Professional Club, was able to help keep students safe and protected during the pandemic and created over 160 face masks. The masks were given out randomly to selected students all around the campus. HOSA cut, sewed, and added ear bands to all these masks. Their help has been able to keep many of the students at Radford safe and protected.

Masks are required on planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation traveling into, within, or out of the United States. The Department of Education requires students to keep masks on at all times during school, even during the break period, because it doesn’t take much to catch the virus. Radford also advises students to stay about six feet or more away from each other. Though Hawaii is doing much better than the rest of the United States, the public is still at a large risk of catching and spreading the virus.

Charmaine Fagaragan (12) and Mrs. Macedonio (HOSA Co-Advisor) preparing and social distancing while preparing masks. (Jennifer Sugahara)
Julianne Daniels (12), Sewing up and packaging well-designed masks to give out as a part of the 160 masks being given out here in Radford. (Jennifer Sugahara)
Jennifer Sugahara