Students shares opinion on the Back-to-School Mask Regulations

Freshman Sophia Tucker talks to her friends by the 10s Building. After two years of masked conversations students can now see each other’s faces. (Photo Credit: Grace Vuycankiat)

Grace Vuycankiat, Reporter

Mask regulations on Oahu were lifted on March 25, 2022, which means all public high schools have made it optional to wear a mask on campus. Students, parents, and faculty have numerous opinions on this matter, whether it’s good for the school or bad. Freshman Sophia Tucker shared her thoughts and opinion. 

“I personally do not wear a mask to school because I have a nose piercing and I don’t want to irritate it,” Tucker said, “I also don’t wear one because it’s easier for me to breathe without it.”

Tucker explained to us what her personal connection is as to why she doesn’t wear a mask. She also added that without a mask, it’s much easier for her to breathe.

“Last school year I did wear a mask, but I don’t think it interfered with school or made it harder to concentrate, I felt like it was needed because Covid cases were higher,” Tucker said. 

Face masks were mandatory during the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

“The benefits are you are less likely to get sick with COVID-19 or other illnesses,” Tucker said, “the drawbacks are that you can’t breathe as well as you can without a mask and you have to take it off and on to eat.”

Although Tucker doesn’t wear a mask herself, she shared her opinion regarding the benefits and drawbacks of mask-wearing. 

“You can breathe easier, you won’t get a mask tan and your skin won’t get irritated if you have sensitive skin,” Tucker said, “the drawback is you have a higher chance of getting COVID-19, especially if you don’t have the vaccines.” 

Although you are more at risk of getting sick when you don’t wear a mask, getting the COVID-19 vaccine can help prevent this. Getting the vaccine can help you walk around freely and safely knowing you are less likely to get sick. Not wearing a mask also helps many acne-prone students to have better and healthier skin. Students with asthma can also see this as a plus, as it can help them to breathe better.

Even though wearing a mask can be beneficial, don’t forget to keep your same routine of washing your hands and sanitizing to prevent getting any sickness.

This poll has ended.

How do you feel about the new mask regulations?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This poll has ended.

How often do you wear a mask in school?