Budding Epicureans Compete in Sweet Onion Competition

Culinary students Evan Collins (11) and Jeremiah Joswick (11) at the Aloun Farms 3rd Annual Ewa Sweet Onion Culinary Competition. The objective of the competition is to cook a dish with the items assigned to your team. “It was a good learning experience,” Joswick said. (Photo submitted by Evan Collins)

Adaliah Collins, Editor

The students at Radford are not unaware of the unique opportunities and events the school offers. From bonfires to luaus to blood drives, Radford always gives every student the chance to participate in memorable occasions.

Culinary arts students Evan Collins (11) and Jeremiah Joswick (11) represented Radford at the Aloun Farms 3rd Annual Ewa Sweet Onion Culinary Competition on April 30 at Kapolei High School.

“We volunteered,” Collins said. “[Culinary teacher JamIe] Kahalewai mentioned a competition, so Jeremiah and I decided to do it.”

At the Ewa Sweet Onion Culinary Competition, each team was assigned fresh ingredients that they needed to incorporate into a dish, and present it to a panel of judges.

“Before we arrived, I was extremely confident,” Joswick said. “Then, just seeing other people there made it all go away.”

The two students prepared Kahuku shrimp with fresh Ewa vegetables, on quinoa rice with bell pepper and carrots.

Although the pair did not win the grand prize, they received knife sets.
“I’m really happy that Radford gives us opportunities like this,” Collins said.

Kahuku Shrimp with fresh ewa vegetables on a bed of quinoa with bell pepper and carrots, prepared by Evan Collins (11) and Jeremiah Joswick (11).