Banks Wins Poets from the Past Poetry Contest

In+celebration+of+Black+History+Month%2C+Phi+Beta+Sigma+hosted+their+6th+annual+Poets+from+the+Past+contest.+Senior+Renee+Banks+%28third+from+left%29+took+first+Place+by+reciting+Maya+Angelou%E2%80%99s+Phenomenal+Woman%2C+and+sharing+facts+about+Angelou.+%E2%80%9CI+took+time+to+memorize+the+poem+as+well+as+build+a+positive+mindset%2C%E2%80%9D+Banks+said.+

Submitted by Renee Banks

In celebration of Black History Month, Phi Beta Sigma hosted their 6th annual Poets from the Past contest. Senior Renee Banks (third from left) took first Place by reciting Maya Angelou’s “Phenomenal Woman,” and sharing facts about Angelou. “I took time to memorize the poem as well as build a positive mindset,” Banks said.

April Mamaclay, Reporter

In celebration of Black History Month, the Pacific Ocean chapter of Blacks in Government, in partnership with Phi Beta Sigma hosted their 6th annual Poets from the Past, Youth Poetry Competition. The competition celebrated non-living African American poets of the past.

It was open to students in the 6th through 12th grades, and offered cash prizes for top performances.    

Taking first place was Radford senior Renee Banks.

During the poetry reading contest Banks recited a poem and shared facts about the poet.

Banks winning poem was “Phenomenal Woman” by Maya Angelou.

“I won $100 as well as a certificate and an opportunity to perform at the Phi Beta Sigma’s event party,” she said.

Banks prepared for this event by taking “time to memorize the poem as well as build a positive mindset and remained calm despite the other contestants being absolutely amazing.”