Woman’s Rights Activist Defines Consent

Madelynn Honeycutt, Reporter

Sexual consent is a mutual agreement to engage in sexual activities. Words associated with consent are yes and no. The word, “yes” is vital for sexual consent. Some people do not understand what rape is and how consent matters. They don’t think of the forever impact they have on that person or they just don’t care. Many people get consent confused with emotions they think their partners are feeling, or flat out just decide to ignore verbal consent which is considered rape. Rape is being forced into sexual activities without consent. People assume that their partner is okay without asking for a verbal confirmation which is important for a healthy relationship. Consent is not a joke or something that should be taken lightly. Always ask regardless of how you think your partner is feeling. If they are unsure then that should be considered as a no. Consent is the key to a healthy relationship and should be practiced all the time.

Forgetting about consent is not an excuse for anyone. You need to always ask for consent, even if you think you know what their answer will be.

After asking, consent should be expressed in words so that you know exactly what they’re thinking and feeling. Doing this ensures that you know how to go forward in your actions. Always remember that no means no.

If you find that your significant other or someone you would like to interact with is under the influence of alcohol or drugs, then consent can no longer be given. This is because they can no longer be trusted to make decisions for themselves.

Rule number three should also be applied to individuals that are sleeping, unconscious, or just generally unaware of their surroundings. If they do not have the ability to speak up and are not awake or alert, then consent cannot be given.

If the person you’re interacting with changes their mind before or during the activity that they no longer want to do anything, then consent has been withdrawn and you shouldn’t try to convince them or guilt them into anything they don’t want to do.

Radford has seven counselors and behavioral specialists Chrystalline Sagario and Erin Macedonio to address students’ concerns. Sagario also referred anyone that has been sexually assaulted to the Sex Abuse Treatment Center of Hawaii. The website is  http://satchawaii.com.