10 Things to Do This Summer Break

Bryson Antonio, Reporter

This school year is almost coming to an end. Summer break will be taking place on May 26 – August 4. Do you have anything to do over this summer break? Here are some things that will keep you busy this summer:

Academics 

The College and Career Resource Center is a great resource for summer internships and job opportunities. More information can be found linked here and on the  College and Career Information website

• Summer school will take place on June 2-30 from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Most courses will be online courses except for PE and credit recovery, which will be held in person on campus. Registration began on March 28. Summer school courses are free this school year. 
  • The Summer CTE Academy is a six-week exploration summer program that offers the students an opportunity to experience various career and technical education programs offered at Honolulu Community College. The deadline to apply is May 12. For more information, visit Honolulu Community College. This will take place on June 5 – July 14 from 8 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. excluding holidays.  

Activities

Looking for fun and excitement during Summer Break? Head out to take part in the activities that are listed below.

• The 50th State Fair is an entertaining place for families to cherish memories that are hosted every year during the summer. This event includes rides, games, food, and entertainment. This will take place on May 26 through July 9 at Aloha Stadium. More information and specific hours can be found on the E. K. Fernandez Shows website. 
  • Dave and Busters is a place for families and friends. Dave and Busters has a full-service restaurant, a video arcade, and a place where you can reserve parties. Dave and Busters is open from 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday,  from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. on Wednesday and Friday, from 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. on Saturday, and from 10 a.m. to 12 a.m. on Sunday.
  • The 4th of July firework show has been hosted every year except for 2020, during the pandemic. This year the places that will host the spectacular firework shows are Ala Moana Beach Park,  Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam, and more. The fireworks will start at Ala Moana Beach Park usually start around 8 p.m. and the Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam starts at 8:30 p.m.

Beaches

Want to stay cool during summer break? Head out to the beach that will be listed below. 

• Ala Moana Beach is the best beach for kids and families to hang out. Ala Moana Beach contains multiple restrooms with outdoor showers throughout the park, on-duty lifeguards, picnic tables, benches, BBQ grills, a walking path, and a tennis court. The beach is open daily from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. with free admission and parking. It also hosts events such as the Friday night firework show from 7:45 p.m. or 8 p.m. 
  • Hickam Beach is a convenient beach for the people who live in Hickam or are in the military. This beach is the perfect spot for learning how to surf, party gatherings, beach volleyball or simply sunbathing under the tropical sun. It also has lifeguards stationed during the weekend and a surf shake offers rental beach equipment at affordable prices. The beach is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with required ID checks to pass the gate. 

Hikes

Want to get some exercise during the summer break? Head out to the hiking trails that will be listed below.

• Aiea Loop Trailhead is a 4.9-mile loop trail with a moderately challenging route. The trail may be muddy with sections of exposed tree roots. A group of Norfolk Island pine trees marks the lower end of the trail. 
  • Makapu’u Point Lighthouse trail is a 2-mile trail with a moderately easy or challenging route depending on yourself and is most well known for whale-watch. The trail is steep and rocky. At the top of the Makapu’u trail, you will be able to view the Sea Life Park and the Pacific Ocean.
  • Aloha Aina Patriotism Park Trail is a 2.1 miles out and back trail with an easy route near Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. The trail is paved asphalt and smooth.  At the end of the trail, there is a missing man formation memorial.

Overall, there are many activities to do over the summer break. I hope this list will help you when it comes to being bored or having nothing to do.