Students Prepare for ACT

Erik Guerra, Reporter

College admission tests, like the SAT and ACT, are standardized tests typically taken in junior or senior year and colleges use tests scores to help them make admission decisions. Each college has its own admission process and policy, with some holding test scores to a higher level of importance than others. Other colleges, including community colleges, may not require standardized test scores at all. Either way, these tests are meant to be taken seriously.

According to College Counselor Malia Kau, scores are the third piece that colleges will review after course selection and grades.

“While it’s important, it is not the most important factor. Many schools will look at students holistically and not judge students by their test scores,” she said. “Colleges will look at a student’s whole picture.”

However, students are still heavily encouraged to take these tests seriously. Although there are other areas colleges take into consideration, they will still examine test scores.

“It is important,” Kau said. “Do your best so that you have as many options possible after graduation.”

Radford provides the ACT for juniors on Feb. 20, so it is important that students take advantage. The ACT is ordinarily around $67, so the class of 2020 should hit the books and study the best they can.

“I’m kinda nervous, but hopefully I’ll be prepared by the time we take the test,” said Ariana Love (11). She had mentioned that it would likely depend on how much sleep she gets before the test but, “I think I will do well.”

If students are getting worried about having to take the ACT, there are steps that they can do to prepare. Kau offered helpful websites for test preparation options such as Khan Academy and ACT Academy.

“There is also a company called Test-Prep Hawaii that offers classes at Moanalua High School,” Kau said. “This spring, we will try to pilot an after-school test-prep session.”

She also reminds students that the test scored they receive will not stick forever.

“Schools will look at multiple test results. If you are not satisfied, take them again,” Kau said. “But you must practice and prepare to see any change.”

Kau wants everyone to know that if they have any anxieties or questions, to visit the CCRC. She reminds everyone, “Don’t stress too much about your scores. Just practice and do your best.”