Aguilar Joins English Department

Kate Seed, Reporter

Freshman and junior English teacher Brian Aguilar is a native of California.

He has a bachelor’s degree in film and Teaching English as a Foreign Language certification from California State University at Long Beach, and a master’s degree in education from Hawaii Pacific University.

While this is Aguilar’s first year of teaching at Radford, he has three years of teaching under his belt. He taught English for two years in Japan and completed his student teaching at St. Louis High School in Hawaii.

He said that he grew up with several family members who are teachers, so he’s always been surrounded by their influence his entire life.

I believe teaching has always been in the back of my mind,” he said. “After teaching in Japan, I realized how much I enjoyed it.”

In his short time as a Ram, he thinks that the school is a special place.

Aguilar said, “The faculty is very supportive and warm. The students are friendly, respectful, and ambitious. The school community, as a whole, has a welcoming feel of ohana.”

During his free time he likes to cook because “cooking is very therapeutic for me and helps me relax and enjoy my own creations.”

He also enjoys running, watching movies, creative writing, and listening to hip hop and electronic music.

Freshman and junior English teacher Brian Aguilar is a California transplant. While this is his first year at Radford, he has three years of teaching under his belt. He taught English for two years in Japan and completed his student teaching at St. Louis High School in Hawaii. “I believe teaching has always been in the back of my mind,” he said. “After teaching in Japan, I realized how much I enjoyed it.”