Baba Builds Meaningful Relationships with students

Sua Ala, Reporter

English teacher Trevor Baba is a first-year teacher, with longstanding ties to a group of Radford students.

Before teaching freshman and sophomore English, Baba worked as a tutor with the AVID program at the school and at Aliamanu Intermediate, facilitating weekly tutorial sessions with students enrolled in the program. It was a job that left a lasting impression on him.

“I chose to come and teach at Radford because it was here where I discovered that I wanted to teach high school students,” he said. “I worked here for two years as an AVID tutor and I absolutely loved it. I still see my old AVID babies around campus today.”

Before Baba became a Ram, he was a Surfrider, completing his heavy student teaching schedule at Kailua High School.

“Last year, I taught 9th and 10th grade English Honors, 11th and 12th grade English, and AVID 9 and 10,” he said.

Baba said that he pursued a career in education because he wanted to provide the support he lacked when he was a high school student.

“I never had an awesome teacher in high school…that was a really tough time in my life, with everything in and out of school, and I really needed a supportive teacher/adult to care,” he said. “I know there are so many students who need that awesome and caring teacher like I did–that’s why I chose to be a teacher.”

He takes a more reflective tone when explaining why he chose the path he’s on.

“I chose to become an English teacher because English opens so many doors to learning more about and having meaningful relationships with my students. English also provides the opportunities to have meaningful and fruitful philosophical inquiries about real world topics and issues that matter to students,” he said.

While Baba still maintains strong ties to his Kailua students, he said, “Radford students are the best. All of my students come in with their own stories. But the constant is that Radford kids have huge hearts and they genuinely care about each other.”

When Baba is not working, he said he enjoys “watching Netflix, taking awesome selfies on Snapchat, and making  sure my Instagram posts are on point.”

Freshman and sophomore English teacher Trevor Baba is a new to the department, but familiar face to his AVID students. Baba worked as a tutor with the AVID department at the school and at Aliamanu Intermediate, facilitating weekly tutorial sessions with students enrolled in the program. It was a job that left a lasting impression on him. “I chose to come and teach at Radford because it was here where I discovered that I wanted to teach high school students,” he said.
Freshman and sophomore English teacher Trevor Baba is new to the department, but a familiar face to his AVID students. Baba worked as a tutor with the AVID program at the school and at Aliamanu Intermediate, facilitating weekly tutorial sessions with students enrolled in the program. It was a job that left a lasting impression on him. “I chose to come and teach at Radford because it was here where I discovered that I wanted to teach high school students,” he said.